- "Don't you know who I am? I. AM. DJ Subatomic Supernova! My music will reach the furthest corners of the galaxy. What have you done today, simpletons?"
- ―DJ Subatomic Supernova, to Bunk Bed Junction
DJ Subatomic Supernova (abbreviated to DJSS Or, in the Subtitles, DJ Sub.) is a space-themed Disc Jockey (DJ), one of the megastars in NSR, and the charter of Cast Tech District who represents some form of disco. He is the 1st boss in No Straight Roads.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Boss Battle
- 6 Possessions
- 7 Story
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Gallery
- 10 References
"This proud man was originally an Astrophysicist, so he is without a doubt the smartest of the NSR bunch. However, joining NSR is only a means for him to achieve his ultimate goal: to be some kind of avatar for Earth. Whatever that means."
DJSS has a modern, futuristic appearance, his most notable trait being his sphere-shaped helmet that appears to contain a part of space itself. It is unknown if this is actually his head or if it's simply a helmet.
He wears a three-toned blue hoodie with the hood up, which has the solar system embedded into an animation, and glows white on the inside. On top of the hood, he wears blue headphones. His hands are covered by dark-blue gloves, with a white glowing line going down the middle- and ring finger on his left glove. On the bottom half of his body, he wears blue board shorts and light-blue sneakers.
Despite his futuristic appearance, DJSS appears to have unshaved human legs. It is as of yet unclear if he is a cyborg, an extraterrestrial or a human.
Overall, DJ Subatomic Supernova has a futuristic galaxy theme. This extends to his brands, advertisements, and his concert location, Club Planetarium. A hidden motif within Supernova's character is the true, monotonous nature of space. This is seen during his final boss phase, when his helmet cracks open and unleashes a black hole.
DJ Subatomic Supernova is a deeply self-important and self-centered person. He does not care about small details and is quick to dismiss Bunk Bed Junction when they arrive to crash his concert, already having forgotten who they are despite having seen them perform in front of him and his fellow artists earlier that night.
His dismissive attitude also reaches his allies, as he insults one of the people in charge of launching the NSR Satellite, stating that it is "not rocket science", before hanging up and immediately complaining about his ice pop having melted and ordering someone to fetch him a new one. DJSS comes off as a busy and bossy rich man who believes that his intellect is greater than others.
In Cassette Tape #1, DJSS can be heard giving a speech to a grand audience of three, excluding the janitor. The speech is long-winded and only concerns himself and his plan to have his music to travel the farthest corners of the galaxy. DJSS acts as if he is the center of everything, and speaks in a grandiose, exaggerated manner about the vastness of space and the multitudes of stars it contains.
In Cassette Tape #2, DJSS speaks about the sense of peace he feels when looking up at the stars, which he had almost forgot because of his constant arguing with "people of lesser intellect" back in his former career. It is here that he gets the idea to combine his passions of space and melody.
In Cassette Tape #3, it is revealed he has no real loyalty or love for NSR and just considers it a stepping stone for his personal goals. It is also revealed he secretly planned to attach drones to the NSR satellite to continuously broadcast his music throughout Earth so he would truly never be forgotten.
DJSS oversees the launch of the NSR satellite. However, he has no true loyalty to them, considering them stepping stones for his own agenda.
- "Your intellect is strikingly shallow, as everyone else's is. What I'm saying is that you Plutonians are no longer relevant."
- ―DJ Subatomic Supernova, to Bunk Bed Junction
To the DJ, Bunk Bed Junction is as interesting as the dwarf planet, Pluto. DJSS calls Mayday and Zuke "Plutonians", because of their irrelevance to him. It refers to Pluto being absent on the embedded animation of the Solar System on his hoodie, showing how insignificant it is. He also considers both of them way below his intelligence, though Zuke understood the DJ's insult. Despite his initial animosities, he later comes around to encourage the two to be the ones to save Vinyl City, adding they "aren't so bad after all."
- "I am done stooping to your level of idiocy!"
- ―DJ Subatomic Supernova, to Bunk Bed Junction
Rocket Launch Pad
Transform metronome objects into rockets that launch and home in on DJ Subatomic Supernova to damage him.
Transform metronome objects into speed pads that increase movement speed and attack speed for a short duration. It can even launch planets towards the DJ.
DISCLAIMER: Metronome names are not official; just placeholders.
"As arrogant as he may be, he is still a certified genius. Believe me, it’s going to take more than just breaking his DJ console to defeat him. Perhaps a better target would be that shiny helmet he is wearing."
DJSS is on a suspended platform with his turntable and has disco balls orbiting around him. He will make one or two of them dash to strike the player when he scratches on the turntable. If you hit the disco balls multiple times, they will drop ammo notes to shoot him with.
In Crazy Mode, all four disco balls will be spun and in random directions: clockwise or counterclockwise. Two of the disco balls and their orbits will glow purple and can be parried. This attack also occurs at an increased frequency, and will be used whenever he has an opportunity. This applies to all phases except the final phase. All incoming attacks will hit for substantially more damage thanks to the game's hardest difficulty.
After you deplete DJSS' health and break his turntables, he will turn the inside of Club Planetarium into the Solar System, the disco balls now becoming planets, and him in the center with an asteroid belt around him. Like Phase 1, DJSS will make the planets dash, but he will clap causing the planet to be hazardous, and he can slam his hands down to cause the asteroids to launch out of the belt and target the player.
The slam attack uses twice the amount of asteroids in the belt only in Crazy Mode.
After Phase 2, a distraught DJSS will pick up a miniature Earth and poke it, a huge version of his own hand descending from the sky, poking him and turning him into a spaghetti-armed giant in the middle of space. Phase 3 is similar to previous phases, except the planets become neon and colorful, and a Neutron Star laser will rotate around him that the player will have to avoid. The slam attack will instead hurl a wall of asteroids forward, causing damage if caught in its path. He will also directly lash out at the player, as well as hammer his hand onto the platform. Occasionally, DJSS will pull Mayday and Zuke into a 2D format of the platform in which the orbits change angles and they have to avoid getting hit by three out of the four planets sent crashing by following the rhythm. On the last of these, the orbits of the planets will be purple, signifying that they can be parried.
In Crazy Mode, the slam attack will use up a much bigger chunk of the asteroid belt. The 2D platform segment will also use all four planets.
Once DJSS' health is depleted in Phase 3, his helmet cracks open and begins to release a black hole. Club Planetarium transforms into the event horizon, with a "straight road" leading to it and lights flashing in the background as the black hole sucks up everything. Planets that glow purple dash towards the hole and must be parried. If a player decides to dodge instead, the planet will do damage once it crashes into DJSS. Once DJSS' health is completely empty, Mayday and Zuke will use "Showstopper" to end the battle and send him flying to space.
None of the planets will glow purple and must be dodged rhythmically, according to Crazy Mode. In Parry Mode, sometimes multiple purple planets will appear, and go off in rhythm.
- Club Planetarium - DJ Subatomic Supernova's signature place of concerts. It is shaped like an observatory.
- Galactic - A shop. Unknown purposes.
- DJSS has a statue of himself located near the NSR Bank and in front of NSR.
In the Cassette Tapes, it's revealed that DJSS used to be a teacher at a university, but he later quit. He wanted to combine two of his favorite things, that being star gazing & music, and thus became DJSS, and at some point after that, he decided to become a member of NSR.
Lights Up Auditions
DJSS, together with Tatiana and the other NSR megastars, were the judges at the Lights Up Audition and disqualified Mayday and Zuke for performing Rock music. DJSS was the second judge after Yinu to disqualify them. After Tatiana banned Rock from future auditions, Mayday and Zuke head to Club Planetarium.
Vs. Bunk Bed Junction
DJ Subatomic Supernova, during his concert at Club Planetarium, is seen having an argument about a satellite launch over a phone call. Once the call ends, he complains about his Mr. Dodo Ice Pop having melted, and orders a new one. As Bunk Bed Junction barge into Club Planetarium without permission or a "VIP privilege card", he is startled and challenges them, leading to the boss battle. DJSS then proceeds to battle the duo with his turntables. After they crack his helmet, a black hole leaks out. Mayday and Zuke use "Showstopper" to end the battle and DJSS is sent flying off to space.
- Each character has an underlying trope that corresponds with their music genre. For DJSS, he falls into the stereotype of DJs being self-centered and narcissistic.
- Aside from being generally self-centered, DJSS being the center of a solar system in his boss fight references how real black holes and stars (like Earth's Sun) tend to be the centers of solar systems.
- Early concept art shows DJSS wearing pants and boots, unlike his final design.
- DJSS' base theme was the first song to release prior to the release of NSR.
- DJSS is the only NSR artist to not have an approach segment for Bunk Bed Junction to hijack a concert.
- A remixed leimotif of DJSS's boss theme is present in the first part of the song, "NSR Approach Megamix", which contains the approach segments for all the other bosses as well, indicating that at one point, he may have had an approach segment.
- DJSS is the only NSR artist not to have his profile and information shown for briefing.
- On Twitter, what his bio would have been was posted.
- Mayday and Zuke are only able to access Cast Tech District after battling DJ Subatomic Supernova.
- DJSS is hinted at to eat Mr. Dodo Ice Pops a lot. Litter of one can be found in Cast Tech District, referencing him.
- DJSS was a university professor before his musical career, as revealed in the Cassette Tapes.
- This could also be the reason as to why he's the first boss, as during his boss battle, it includes melee attacking (disco balls and planets), telegraphed attacks (pretty much the entire battle), dodging/parrying (final phase), transformations, and shooting (all phases except final).
- There is a trophy in the Playstation Network that is achieved by launching a planet to DJ Subatomic Supernova with Zuke's speed pad.
- DJSS's battle took the least amount of time to develop out of all the bosses. It took half a year.
- In the AMA stream, it was said that DJSS was in his thirties. This was probably a mistake because his official age is 41.
- DJSS's long name was inspired by Negasonic Teenage Warhead from Deadpool.
- In the second AMA stream, many fans wished that his real name be Bob Salad, much to Haz and Daim's chagrin.
- DJ Subatomic Supernova was going to be titled "DJ Galaxy", as of the prototype drawings made by Ellie Yong.
- In some art, DJSS is depicted with half his helmet missing, revealing a human face. As to weather this is canon is unknown, though this has lead some people to believe DJSS is, or once was, a human.
- Mohamad Ali Imran's twitter account
- Gematsu article revealing original English dub cast
- Jeux Video article revealing NSR's French cast (French)
- NSR's Spanish dub reveal in Rock Rebellion trailer (Desconsolados, Spanish)
- DJSS's Japanese voice actor revealed to be Tomohisa Hashizume according to Rie Matsuura (Twitter, Japanese)
|Bunk Bed Junction||Mayday • Zuke|
|NSR||1010 (Neon J.) •|
|Others||• • Kliff|
|The Sewers||GiGi • Zam|
|Festival Plaza||Barbara • Mia • Aunty • Zed • Azma • Dash|
|Cast Tech District||Joey • Robot|
|Akusuka District||Retdex • Timmy • Captain Torpedo • Daphne & Jan|
|Natura District||Amal the Unicorn|
|Metro Division District||Kayane • Yiruk|
|Dream Fever District||Celine|